Friday, January 25, 2008

Humor

I was talking to my friend Pamela today, and we both agreed that our kids are way funnier than we are. They aren't afraid of going too far, or being misunderstood. Then, and this is our breakthrough thought-they aren't afraid of awkward. My son Jake and his friends from CollegeHumor visited this past weekend, and they are, without exception, brilliantly witty and wonderful. One thing I noticed was that they seemed to seek out awkward. I grew up doing everything in my power to avoid it: the too-long pause, the unintentional foot into mouth insertion. They relish those moments. Excruciatingly awkward. Hideously awkward, unbearably awkward. That's my kind of awkward. Deliciously awkward, that's theirs. Will I ever get there? I kind of doubt it, but it gives me a goal.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

That's funny... I don't seek out awkward, or relish it, but it always seems to find me anyway. Maybe if I start being intentional about it, it will be more bearable! ;-D