Monday, February 11, 2008

L.C.

I didn't write this- my daughter Hannah did. LC committed suicide just over two years ago. Hannah's tribute to her makes me laugh and breaks my heart at the same time.


For Louisa Caroline (LC) Wagley
December 27, 1982-October 27, 2005

During the four or five years when LC and I were really close, she did a lot of damage to my car. Some of it was completely her fault, some I can’t totally blame on her. Junior year LC, Karla, my brother Jake, and I left a school dance to drive around the area. LC thought it would be funny to drive my car around the parking lot while me and Jake ran into a store. Everything was going smoothly until she confused the gas pedal with the brake and crashed into a tree. The whole hood was crunched in and there was a huge spider web crack in the windshield. At this point I’d only known LC for a couple of months, but that was long enough to know that her impulsiveness often got her into trouble. Needless to say, I was incredibly mad at her. “Oh, my God, Hannah! Oh my God! I am so sorry!” I knew LC felt terrible, but I was angry so I didn’t say anything the whole way back to school. “Hannah, seriously, you can punch me in the face if you want to!” For some reason, she really wanted me to hit her. By the time I dropped her and Karla off she was practically begging, “Hannah, please, just punch me in the face.” As I was driving away, Jake pointed out the giant dent in the windshield from the impact of LC’s head.
Other damage to my car was more minor, or at least, less dramatic. There are dozens of cigarette burns on the inside roof from our drives around Simsbury or New Haven, and I don’t smoke. LC also had a way of making a mess: spilling coffee, leaving notebooks and magazines and clothes behind, not to mention a permanent nicotine smell that my dad was complained about. “No smoking in the car” he’d say, but how could I obey him? I felt bad ignoring his rule, but even though I wasn’t technically addicted, I needed those smoking drives as much as she did.
Our road trips and a summer driving all over Nantucket helped pile up over 200,000 miles and a mass of random clothes and garbage (mostly from LC) in my humble Toyota Camry.
But I always felt that car loved us. It had been through everything, including a few unmentioned idiotic accidents that I take complete responsibility for, and it still managed to get us all the way from New Orleans to Panama City Beach Florida (not the most happening place in mid-January) on one tank of gas. We also drove to cross country meets and tennis matches and New York City and the car never failed us. Even after a seemingly debilitating accident, the Camry always managed to get us to our ultimate destination or back to school where we should have been in the first place.
As crazy as it sounds, given our accident history, I keep thinking that somehow, if we just stayed in the Camry, I could have held onto her. I keep thinking about those days with me behind the wheel and LC riding shotgun. I am so grateful to have shared the wild adventures, and I know those memories are safe. I only regret that we never made it far enough so we could look back together and laugh at all the amazing things we dared to do.

12 comments:

Lauren S. said...

I dont know you but I did know L.C. I miss her terribly and sometimes Google her name...and I found this. Thank you for the memory. I needed it.

Lauren
LaurenEHSmith@gmail.com

Ashley said...

I am friends with Hannah and went to Walkers with LC and Hannah. Reading this brought a smile to my face and tears to my eyes. Thank you for sharing it.

Ameli Kolb said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ameli Kolb said...

Hannah I've only spoken to you over the phone but I always felt like you were the northern version of me, she always had a close friend somewhere right. Your story was touching, It's nice to be able to look back and laugh at all the silly things we've done, that's something that's been hard for me over the past 3 years. She will be missed and forever loved!
Thank you!

Unknown said...

Miss you LC

Unknown said...

miss you L.C.....I can't believe how many people's lives she continues to touch.

Ameli Kolb said...

LC - After almost 5 years I can finally say that I've accepted that you're gone. I've processed it a million times and I admit there are days now where I can talk about it without crying and days where it doesn't come to mind at all....but then there are days like today where I find myself covered in a snotty layer of tears desperately missing you...

Ameli Kolb said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ameli Kolb said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dlinehan said...

I googled LC's name tonight, just thinking about her. I miss you, LC. You taught me about love and endurance. I would write you letters and send drawings to where you were kept. Its hard to believe these years separate us now because I still feel the same love for you and the tears falling now taste just the same as when I was a kid. At night I pray for and kinda talk to you. You still make me happy, LC

Ameli Kolb said...

LC your memory will never die, you've inspired us all to be better and to strive to be as beautiful as you are. Thank you for being my best friend, thank you for excepting me and most of all thank you for making me better human being. You live on inside us all and it kills me to not have you around. I will always love you!

Kris said...

This is all I could find when I googled LC. She was an amazing soul; the only true friend I’ve ever had. I was going thru my pics last night and found some of her, also a poem she wrote if anyone would like me to email them I’d be happy to. krisinthesky@icloud.com