Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Opinion

I showed yesterday’s post to my husband, Sam. He said he found the ending “a little mean.”
“Yeah, but funny, right?” I asked.
“I thought it was kind of harsh, telling a little girl to get the fuck out of the car.”
“That’s precisely what makes it funny,” I said.
Am I missing something? Seriously, what’s funnier than a narrator with a reasonable, self-deprecating tone suddenly tapping into a mother lode of irrational rage? I found myself getting increasingly annoyed when Sam said, “It’s just my opinion. I’m sure some people would find it hilarious.”
You know what? Sam is right. It not like he’s God or some kind of reading expert. Everyone is entitled to an opinion, no matter how completely stupid or wrong it is. And if the opinion of a tax lawyer who is shorter than the national average is going to bother me, then maybe I’m in the wrong business.
Thanks, honey.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Oh poor Sam, you'll give him a complex... ;-D