Saturday, March 8, 2008

The Party Pack

My son Micah had a couple of friends sleep over last night. After breakfast, they start trying to figure out what they can do, since it’s rainy and miserable outside. They finally decide on bowling, which not only involves me driving them to the local lanes, but since no one has money, I’ll have to pay. Micah convinces me this is no big deal. “The Party Pack costs forty dollars. That includes everything, shoes and soda and bowling for four people for two hours.”
“Wow,” I say. “that’s a good deal.”
“Yes,” he nods. “The Party Pack is awesome.”
“The Party Pack is totally awesome,” says his friend J.P.
“The Party Pack is amazing,” says his friend Johnny.
Micah calls a fourth kid. “Austin, want to go bowling with me and Johnny and J.P.? We’re getting a Party Pack.”
We pick up Austin. When he gets in the car, he attempts to hand me some money. “Don’t worry,” Micah says. “We’re getting a Party Pack. It’s only forty bucks.”
“I forgot about the Party Pack,” says Austin. “That’s a really good deal. Thanks, Mrs. Hurwitz.”
“No problem,” I say.
We get to the bowling alley and I follow the boys in. I smile at the guy behind the counter and announce, “We’d like the Party Pack.”
Micah rolls his eyes in disgust. He points to the huge sign over the counter. It’s obvious that he can’t believe I’m so incredibly stupid.
“Oh, my God, Mom. FUN Pack. It’s called the Fun Pack.”
I just hope they manage to find a ride home. It’s really pouring out there.

No comments: