Monday, March 10, 2008

Show and Tell

My oldest daughter, Hannah, has always had a great imagination. One day when she was around three she came into the kitchen, hauling an armful of stuffed animals.
“Want to know their names?”
“Sure.”
First was a dog. “This is Feven.”
“Hi, Feven.”
She handed me a kitten. “This is Choonie.”
“Hi, Choonie. Aren’t you cute?”
Then came a rabbit. “This is Benda Bunny. She’s a girl.”
“Hi, Benda Bunny.”
Then she showed me a stuffed deer.
“This is Deerfuck,” she said.
I was quiet for a moment.
“Don’t you like that name, Mommy?”
“Of course I do, sweetie.” I mean, why should I frighten her by freaking out at her unfortunate name choice? I would leave that job to Mrs. Miller, her nursery school teacher, when Hannah brought Deerfuck in for show and tell the next day.

No comments: