Sunday, March 2, 2008

Interstate Karma

Driving on the highway the other day, I was maintaining my passing lane speed of 80 mph and singing along to Rag Doll when the chrome grill of a Lexus SUV exploded into my rear-view mirror. Passing me on the right, the driver then insinuated his car between my vehicle and the car ahead of me. He wasted no time bullying that next car, but his dangerous and illegal passing maneuver was thwarted by the steady flow of traffic from the right. Ultimately he managed to bob and weave his way forward, extending his arm out the window and waving his middle finger vigorously at the same time.
A short time later I came to the crest of a hill which offered a sweeping view of the road ahead. I could see the Lexus boxed between two lumbering 18 wheelers in the left lane, with a third truck cruising exactly parallel in the right. While it wasn’t quite the fiery wreck I’d been fantasizing about, it was interesting to note that karma is both swift and cleverly ironic.

No comments: